Tension Escalates Between India, China as more Troops Deployed at Galwan: Report

Tension Escalates Between India, China as more Troops Deployed at Galwan: Report

Amid the global pandemic struggle, tensions between China and India have heightened along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh. According to a report by The Times of India, India and China have been deploying additional troops in the Galwan Valley region along the border in eastern Ladakh. This development came in the light of a report by Chinese media that the country’s defense troops have intensified border control measures in the Galwan Valley region. In a report published by The Global Times, a Beijing mouthpiece, China has accused India of illegally trespassing into its territory and stepping up defense facilities in the region, following which Beijing deployed an aggressive number of troops.

“Chinese border defense troops have bolstered border control measures and made necessary moves in response to India’s recent, illegal construction of defense facilities across the border into Chinese territory in the Galwan Valley region,” the Global Times quoted an unknown source.

Responding to China’s actions, the Indian side also reportedly deputed massive military presence at the disputed site. However, there have been no comments from the Indian Army or the External Affairs Ministry on the latest developments. It is important to note that the Galwan Valley region in Ladakh was one of the conflicted hotspots during the India-China war in 1962.

Significantly, experts in China have also told the Global Times that the ongoing border friction won’t lead to another standoff like the “Doklam standoff” which brought serious tensions between China and India in 2017. 

Earlier in May, Indian and Chinese forces engaged in violent encounters in two separate incidents. On May 5, Chinese and Indian forces clashed in a disputed area near Pangong Tso lake in Ladakh. On May 9, both sides came to blows in the Naku La sector along the Sikkim-Tibet border. Both incidents caused injuries on both sides according to media reports. These events have seemingly escalated tensions between the armies of the two sides. 

Following these incidents, India’s External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Anurag Srivastava on May 14 had said that the Indian side remains committed to the objective of maintaining peace and tranquillity in the border areas of the two countries. In the next border meeting between the armies of the two neighbouring countries, the recent developments are likely to be discussed.

administrator

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *